February 18, 2005

What Would Martin Luther King, Jr. Do?

Today, the Philly 5 were acquitted of any wrongdoing in the OutFest arrests earlier this month. As I read the news story, I ran across this video of the events that led up to the arrests. You know, for a long while I have pretended that in today's America the only way to get oneself arrested during a protest would be to physically endanger another person. Boy was I wrong.

I must admit that when I first heard of the Philly incident, even up to the very moment I watched this video, I assumed that the Jesus people must have been standing on a stage hurling epithets, getting in people's faces, and generally acting unlike Jesus. But I am ashamed to have made that assumption, as I watched a group of polite citizens trying to be, well, American by vocalizing their viewpoint on a political topic.

I want to personally challenge anybody to watch this video in its entirety and tell me how the protesters were doing anything other than exercising their First Amendment right of free speech. How anything they did gave the Philly police the right to arrest them.

I'm listening.

- The Red Oasis